Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A tiny forest, algae and fungus....


A beautiful little forest clinging to a small, dead branch.  It is like a galaxy on to itself; independent, fragile, vulnerable, living out its life on a precarious limb.  


Frog eggs or Newt?



Notophthalmus viridescens - Eastern Newt
We watched their dance, male and female locked in a struggled embrace.

Two were silent.  Quiet, unmoving, still locked in their embrace.  Was the passion too strong?  Did their struggle overwhelm them?  It was sad.  The water did not move while the sun blazed across the surface of the pond.  I stared in silence.  Why this moment?  Another newt glimmered in the corner of my eye and I turned my head to follow him.  

The two dead lovers still haunt me, floating there at the bottom, waiting to complete the circle.....


Erythronium americanum - American Trout Lily or Yellow Adder's Tongue

They stand shoulder to shoulder. 
 Lined up, watching each other.  Small, curious faces reaching up from the forest floor.  It was unnaturally warm here today.  It felt like an intrusion, confusion.  There are no leaves on the trees to shelter us from the burning rays.  I think it was the abnormal humidity, the deep, burning heat that invaded our April...


Kerry's favorite spring wild flower

Two happy faces jump and splash.  It began as a walk on the edge, then off came the shirts, knee deep became head first and then, mud bath.

My long haired boy!
A covered bridge.  New, replacing the old.  The town rebuilt her, nail by nail, the story goes.  A youthful prank burned the old one.  Oxen and men slid this one in place, the old way, in honor of the fallen one.  Every nail, every board, all the effort, the entire town came.  
The ritual still survives; horns blow from the heart of the covered bridge.




Melissa officinalis - Lemon Balm

I have extended my nature journal to include a study of the herbs in my garden.  One by one I am going to draw and describe them in my journal.  I think that by doing the study I will remember the details.


Here is a page from my nature journal.  We laid on the grass in front of the stone wall for hours and talked about lichens until it was too dark to see.  

The little red insects?  Ticks, soft bodied ticks.  I thought they were precious little spiders until I put on my glasses...ticks.  They looked like tiny red skinned potatoes.  I still haven't identified them yet.  Do you know what they are called?

1 comment:

  1. Ahh! So *that* is what these lovely wild flowers are called! We were always wondering!
    "Erythronium americanum - American Trout Lily or Yellow Adder's Tongue"
    So happy to know this, we see them growing as well as (not sure if it is the same type of flower? a deep purple/red color, as well as white ones...
    I really enjoy all of the gorgeous wild things growing here! And really love all of the berries growing in the woods it is amazing how nature provides for the bears and other creatures! I really feel the seasons deeply here when the seasonal berries pop up, strawberries in the woods and fields, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries growing roadside *sigh* and of course all of the other seasonal work... collecting sap, stacking wood makes for a lovely year!
    Be well! : )

    ReplyDelete