Wednesday, April 15, 2009

For Veda Maud





"Dear W.  I went to Morrisville yesterday to see about a coat at a sale.  Did not get one.  Guess I'll wait now and see yours.  Tell me when it comes please.  We were over to Rufies Gun.  Had a nice visit.  They all seemed so glad to think we come.  Dina dressed up in white. R. played on his violin.  I am piecing for quilts, finished 50 blocks to-day.  Wish you lived near.  Cora & Vesta & baby were over at Wills to day.  I did not know it till they got bye going home.  She always used to stop but never does now.  Comes over quite often  Why she never stops now I dont know.  I would like to seen baby & all.  Sometimes I get some lonesome to see Jericho. If there was snow we would go as R. has got to see to the pump  & some other things down there.  Uncle Henry wrote me his wife is improving in different ways, please tell [H]astie the good news. Come over & write.  Card is for ducklin with a kiss."




A very early embossed card I got for one dollar.  How sweet.   I have been piecing a quilt but I can say that I did not finish 50 blocks today.  I still wish you lived near.  We weren't meant to go it alone, even with our electric machines that save time.  We miss the hands that carry, the hands that help, the hands that hold.  The voices that sing, the voices that whisper, the voices that soothe.  Maybe not every woman back then was blessed with strong, loving and supportive women in their home or in their lives especially when they were so dependent on help.  The world has changed but we still need each other, why not start a quilting bee, a knitting circle, a kaffee klatch?  Why not pop in to a nursing home, a soup kitchen, or just stop by the neighbor's house? We need to stay close to the women in our lives, to lend a hand, to speak from our hearts.  My heart goes out to the lonesome.

Peace

My amazing girlfriend Stelladanza researched Winnie M. Lamonda and found that she was born in about 1882 in Canada.  Her husband Hartson P. Lamonda was born about 1875 and they lived together in Hyde Park, Vermont in 1920.  Veda Maud was her 6 year old daughter and yes, Winnie could read and write.  Danke liebschen....

No comments:

Post a Comment